Friday, March 19, 2010

The View Corridor Study Moves Forward

Two City meetings took place recently to review progress of the view corridor study - at the Landmarks Board and at the Zoning Update Committee. Presentations included photographs of significant views and discussion of basic mapping methodologies in view corridor studies, specifically the mathematics-based methodologies used to calculate building heights on a “rising line of sight” between the view point and the object. These meetings provided the first glimpse of the study and how it might operate to allow for adequate project sizes while preserving views of the Tribune Tower or City Hall from across Lake Merritt, among others. Here’s the staff report, http://bit.ly/9yYE8J, scroll to the links at the end of the report to see pictures and diagrams of view corridors.

The study recommends five views of downtown Oakland from Lakeside Park along Lakeshore Avenue. The Landmark Board endorsed the five views and forwarded their recommendation to the Zoning Update Committee (ZUC).

At the ZUC the following week, the same presentation was given along with the same recommendations regarding the five views. For this meeting, CALM submitted a supplemental set of photos since it was our sense that the photographs in the staff report did not accurately represent the views. Here are the photographs CALM submitted: http://bit.ly/bMGUjy

Rejected View of City Hall
After the staff presentation and public comments, however, the ZUC endorsed only two of the five views. The views are both from the same viewpoint: the East 18th Street Pier, with the ZUC calling the view of the Tribune Tower and of City Hall “separate views.” The esthetic value of the other three views, the commissioners said, is “too subjective” with regard to whether the views are truly unique, and they refused to recommend the other three views for preservation. 

Accepted Views
The commissioners also expressed concern about the legality of view corridors relating to private property.  This is somewhat puzzling since numerous California cities have successfully designated view corridors.  It really seems the legal argument is more of way to obstruct the designation of view corridors by the pro-development planning commissioners.  The ZUC members mentioned the possible loss of "tax revenues" because view corridors will limit project sizes.  This, too, appeared to be an obstructing tactic, particularly so since deliberations on tax revenues are outside the mandate of the Planning Commission. 

Naturally, CALM strenuously objects to the limited approach of the ZUC and will continue to advocate for the designation of all five views.

Rejected View of Tribune Tower
In separate development, City staff indicates they will recommend building heights of 400 feet along the 14th Street corridor. This is significant since, in 2009, the City Council set a temporary 85 foot building height limit along 14th Street between Madison and Harrison Streets. The 85 foot height will remain until the view corridor study is complete. The reason the council did this is two-fold. The first is the same reason as for the view study generally in ensuring views of downtown aren’t blocked. The second is that the City Council expressed concern that the Gold Coast neighborhood, the well-established, low-rise neighborhood abutting 14th Street to the north, would be adversely affected by such tall buildings. The exact expression by one council member was that she did not want the area to end up in a “canyon” surrounded by tall buildings.

The difficulty with staff’s pending 400 foot recommendation is that there is no analysis or discussion of conditions along 14th Street to support such a recommendation. No models, images, or drawings exist depicting 400 foot structures along the 14th Street corridor or how the area would be affected. Closely related to height and bulk considerations will be the shadows created by 400 foot buildings. No analysis exists in either case and no discussion took place at the ZUC or Landmarks Board.

Gold Coast Neighborhood
The unsupported 400 foot building height recommendation is the exact opposite of the very purpose of the view study, which is to reach a studied understanding of the effect of new high-rise construction in the downtown.  It also directly contravenes City Council direction on the matter.  As a matter of fact, it was the same 400 foot recommendation by staff in 2009 that spurred the council to enact the interim height limits.  Staff is proposing the same 400 foot height without any study or new information. CALM has asked, and will continue to ask, staff to provide visual representations and a rationale for the 400 foot recommendation.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

This is a question for the webmaster/admin here at lakecoalition.blogspot.com.

Can I use some of the information from this post above if I give a link back to your website?

Thanks,
Daniel

Anonymous said...

I've had my iPad towards about 2 months moment and I'm considerable you, Steve jobs certainly has his disposition of converting people to be a Mac/Apple fan. I own the iPad without 3G because I didn't scarcity to arrange to pay in behalf of a advanced silhouette in rank to be bruited about the micro SIM card. So I've kinda just lived with my iPad only where there's wifi connection. Which are aplenty anyway at Starbucks, Mcdonalds, and the libraries. This was to come my chum introduced me to a great style around this complication -- a 3G wifi router AP that supports GPRS, GSM, WCDMA, HSUPA, HSDPA, UMT and WORK ONE'S WAY!

I purchased the [url=http://www.dealtoworld.com/goods-16971-Huawei+E5830+3G+WiFi+Router+AP+%28WCDMAHSUPAHSDPAUMTEDGEGPRSGSM%29.html]Huawei E5830 3G WiFi Router AP (WCDMA/HSUPA/HSDPA/UMT/EDGE/GPRS/GSM)[/url] from DealtoWorld.com, in the Networking category, below my new zealand mate's commendation, and I suppose he gets points or commission from my grasp, since he's a DealtoWorld.com affiliate. The router AP is warmly vest-pocket, lightweight and convenient. So these days I can weld to wifi anywhere with mp iPad! I no longer essential to hunt high-pitched and low for a wifi AP at cafes etc. Nor invest so much of my notes on caffeine overdose at Starbucks and other cafes. Too, the 3G Wifi Router AP supports mignonne much all the bandwidths -- GPRS,GSM,WCDMA,HSUPA,HSDPA,UMT,EDGE. Take off a look at pictures I've uploaded of the Huawei 3G WiFi router that has made my fixation so much easier, and is promoting a healthier caffeine-free lifestyle. It proves that a geek lifestyle does not unavoidably have to take off keeping in assistance with coffee.




And to reflect on I was considering paying supplement to upgrade to the iPad that supports 3G! I'm so thrilled that that's not indispensable anymore with this 3G wifi router AP. I can just lock to the internet wherever I am with the Huawei 3G Wifi Router, as sustained as there is signal. This is not a technology gadget per se, but it has certainly made my life far more thrifty! As well, I'm qualified to lay my money that I would usually throw away on Starbucks, McCafe, and other cafes with wifi! Which, at near the fail, makes me query whether it's a ploy nigh Steve Jobs, to have launched the 3G iPad portrayal purely much later, so that wifi cafes can get a kick loads of firm from iPad wifi version. But I digress.

The 3G WiFi router AP I bought from [url=http://www.dealtoworld.com]DealtoWorld.com[/url] would possibly also be clever to discharge me download and play around with my apps on my iTouch, though I haven't tried it yet. Shouldn't be a problem I should think. This $100+ may be the superb rolling in it I've spent since it enables me to suffer with a sort of WiFi hub wherever I am. If I was more entrepreneurial, I can composed start charging other geeks at cafes without WiFi inasmuch as offering access to them. I'm steady I can undoubtedly earn privately the $100 this way! Alternatively, dialect mayhap I can start being an affiliate of DealtoWorld.com too, since I'm starting to buy more gadgets and tools there, and acquire been spreading suggestion vibrant to my children and friends. Not only that, Christmas is coming in less than 2 months' interval, and I characterize as this Huawei 3G WiFi router would make a impressive gift in compensation innumerable of my tech geek friends. I'm satisfied they'll also valuable how shining and chill the router looks!

Anonymous said...

Hey,

This is a message for the webmaster/admin here at lakecoalition.blogspot.com.

May I use part of the information from this post right above if I provide a backlink back to this website?

Thanks,
Harry

Anonymous said...

heat pump comparrisons rocky 2729 boots

Anonymous said...

Its my chief in good time always to transmit on this forum,merely wannat make some friends here.if its not allowed to advise on this panel,will erase this thread.Nice to fit you!

---------------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.sexybags.info/rssrock.html]My designer handabgs[/url]